"Palm oil is a dangerous first aid solution that kills, please stop it. Instead give plenty water or milk when a child drink a dangerous substance like bleach or kerosene"

 

PALM OIL FIRST AID

"The child died"!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2 year old boy drank HYPO bleach kept in a TABLE WATER BOTTLE unknowingly!!! Then the panicky but IGNORANT mother (“experienced mothers advice”) GAVE PLENTY OF PALM OIL!!!

The child aspirated the oil.......the fumes of the palm oil entered the lungs and child could not breathe well and eventually died in the hospital.

THE SHOCKER!!! The child did not die from drinking the HYPO BUT FROM THE SOLUTION GIVEN.......THE PALM OIL.....put it another way, the child died from IGNORANCE of sincere people!!

PLEASE LET US STOP THIS PALM OIL BEING THE "CURE ALL" - "APORO" in Yoruba language…..where for any ingestion of poison the first thing you reach for is Palm oil to INDUCE VOMITING!!!

IT IS THE MOST DANGEROUS MYTH EVER WHEN IT COMES TO CHILDREN!!! SIMPLY STOP IT!!!

GIVING ORDINARY WATER OR MILK TO THIS CHILD TO NEUTRALIZE THE ACID of the bleach without INDUCING FORCEFUL VOMITING would have been great!!!

Please stop allowing children die UNNECESSARILY especially FROM PREVENTABLE CAUSES....IGNORANCE KILLS!!!

Lessons!

1. DON'T EVER KEEP ANYTHING BUT WATER IN BOTTLES OF TABLE WATER!!!

How do you expect the child to know it is Bleach??? Those of you who keep kerosene, petrol, ota piapia etc in table water or soft drink bottles....PLEASE STOP!!!!

2. KEEP DANGEROUS ITEMS LIKE BLEACH, KEROSENE, PETROL etc. OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!!!

It is bad enough to keep bleach in container of water but making it easily accessible to a toddler is a criminal offence as far as I am concerned. PLEASE LET US BE CHILD SAFETY CONSCIOUS!!!

3. STOP ARCHAIC AND DANGEROUS TREATMENTS OR FIRST AIDS!!!

Any time a child ingests poison especially caustic materials - soda or hydrocarbon like kerosene or petrol...PLEASE DO NOT GIVE PALM OIL!!! DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING!!!

The bleach could have damaged the intestines or a few organs. Most of which can be repaired but palm oil aspiration damages the lungs....very crucial organ for breathing and being alive!!!

Content edited from a post by Dr. Gbemisola Boyede, Consultant Paeditrician and Founder, Ask the Paeditricians Group.(http://askthepaediatricians.com)